site.btaDefence Ministry to Take Stock of Redundant Armament before Ukraine Deal Is Carried Out

The Defence Ministry will make a comprehensive analysis of Bulgaria's redundant defence equipment and armament for the purpose of fulfilling a National Assembly decision to provide military and military-technical assistance to Ukraine, Defence Minister Dimitar Stoyanov told journalists in the National Assembly on Thursday.

Earlier in the day, the National Assembly gave the Council of Ministers one month to submit a draft resolution on rendering military and military-technical assistance to Ukraine.

Stoyanov noted that by the time the Council of Ministers tables the draft resolution to the National Assembly, it should be clear exactly what equipment and armament can be provided to Ukraine.

A guiding principle in the analysis will be the need to keep the capabilities of the Bulgarian Armed Forces intact and to allow the Forces to continue to discharge their constitutional duties. An important consideration should be what kind of replacement equipment other countries have received after providing equipment to Ukraine. What the countries get "is not newer, but it is Western-style equipment compatible with NATO machinery", Stoyanov said.

"There is no way we can provide heavy armament at this stage, because we need to receive replacement platforms first," the Minister said.

/RY/

news.modal.header

news.modal.text

By 21:53 on 04.04.2025 Today`s news

Nothing available

This website uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can enjoy a better experience while browsing pages.

Accept More information